Breakfast recipes are just that great! I feel like we don’t get to eat them often enough in the mornings since we’re usually in a rush, but we occasionally get to enjoy them on the weekends and holidays. One holiday we always have breakfast is on Mother’s Day. And usually I’m not the one that has to bake it!! 😉
One of my favorite recipes to enjoy on this day is French Toast, and more specifically, today’s French Toast Bake. This breakfast bake is simple to make and is beyond delicious!!
This baked french toast casserole recipe calls for sourdough bread, which is my personal favorite (and the only kind I’ve ever used). But if you don’t have sourdough on hand, there are a few other options you could try!
The main idea is that you want the bread to be sturdy enough that it will hold up after being combined with the egg mixture. Thinly sliced or squishy bread (think wonder bread) can fall apart while cooking after being soaked in the egg mixture. It’s also a bonus if it’s available in an uncut loaf, because then you can slice and cube it perfectly. Here are some other options:
- Pullman Loaf
- French Bread
If you try any other breads, you’ll have to let me know how it turns out!
I think what makes it so good is the sourdough bread… oh, and the butter and the cinnamon and the sugar. It’s definitely one of our favorite dishes to make for holidays and weekend breakfasts!
HOW TO MAKE FRENCH TOAST BAKE:
This recipe takes a few steps but is quite simple.
french toast bake
- 1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 loaf of Texas toast
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar (for sprinkling)
- Melt butter in microwave & add brown sugar….stir till mixed.
- Pour butter/sugar mix into bottom of 9 x 13 pan….spread around
- Beat eggs, milk, & vanilla
- Lay single layer of Texas Toast in pan
- Spoon 1/2 of egg mixture on bread layer
- Add 2nd layer of Texas Toast
- Spoon on remaining egg mixture
- Cover & chill in fridge overnight
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes (covered for the first 30 minutes)
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar
- Serve with warm maple syrup.